Monday, April 23, 2012

Signmark: Attending a Deaf (Literally) Rap Concert




On Sunday I attended an event I never thought I would attend.  I went to a deaf hip-hop/rap concert given by Signmark, a deaf rapper.  My friends and I also danced while at the concert (a mix of lindy hop, blues, and west coast) to his music.  It was a great deal of fun for us.  Signmark is a high-energy performer, made even more so by using ASL (American Sign Language) to communicate the lyrics.  He has a counterpart who does the vocal lyrics, but Signmark composes the lyrics and writes the beats himself. 

The crowd itself seemed to be half hearing and half deaf.   It was surprisingly quiet.  I was surprised at the variety of people who knew ASL or used it to communicate.  The six foot five man in the biker jacket with the long white beard and American flag bandana spoke only with his hands.  A knot of older women all signed quietly to each other, no sounds.  Faces are also part of ASL grammar.  It’s a very open language.   You cannot hide what you’re trying to say, and if you do try, you’re being rude. 

One thing you, my reader, may wonder is “how do deaf people enjoy a concert they can’t hear?”  Interesting question, and one for which I have an answer.  Firstly, the speakers.  They were powerful and very, very loud.  For some in the deaf community, it isn’t so much about hearing the music as it is about feeling it.  They can feel the vibrations, especially of the bass.  Additionally, many people at the concert, both hearing and not, had balloons.  A balloon amplifies the vibrations from the speakers.  Holding the balloon makes it easier to feel the music.  I highly recommend giving it a try. 

The lyrics themselves were really clever.  He rapped about deaf culture and deaf life, about problems communicating, but also celebrating the culture and the benefits of belonging.  I’ve included two videos of his songs below. I thought it was a great event and a great experience. 




No comments:

Post a Comment